The Yonge and St. Clair area is one of Toronto’s most vibrant and sought-after inner-city communities. The neighbourhood of Deer Park is located around the Yonge and St. Clair intersection, and it’s also home to the Yonge + St. Clair Business Improvement Area. With more than 450 unique businesses in the neighbourhood, this pocket of the city is a hub of activity.
About the neighbourhood
Yonge and St. Clair is in the midst of a revival period. New life is being injected into the area, from new retail spaces to mixed-use real estate, and new condo projects like the ultra-modern One Delisle condo building. This iconic midtown community has a rich history dating back to the mid-19th century when the area was first settled. Now, the community is experiencing its own renaissance with a revival of infrastructure, economy, and recreation.
Most Yonge and St. Clair residents are single, working professionals living in rental apartments and condos, some older single-family detached and semi-detached homes and a handful of newer townhomes. Many of the single-family homes in the neighbourhood are of original construction built in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The newer builds in the area blend well with the older architectural styles, creating a distinct, charming atmosphere that makes this neighbourhood all its own.
Besides being a thriving, colourful neighbourhood, Yonge and St. Clair is also a highly convenient area of Toronto for people on the go. As most homes in the neighbourhood are within walking distance to TTC stops and the St. Clair subway station, residents enjoy excellent access to local transit, making commuting for work or for pleasure incredibly convenient. The Yonge and St. Clair enclave is just 10 minutes from downtown Toronto, and 20 minutes from area highways.
Yonge + St. Clair Restaurants
Living in the Yonge and St. Clair area means being surrounded by some of the city’s best restaurants and cafes. Foodies from all over Toronto flock to this neighbourhood to indulge in the best cuisine the city has to offer. Here, you’ll find popular restaurants like:
- Capocaccia Trattoria, a trendy eatery with a covered patio, serving classic Italian fare
- Browne’s Bistro, featuring an Italian and French-inspired menu with an extensive wine list in a refined space
- Mary Be Kitchen, a casual eatery serving seasonal and health-conscious meals from breakfast bites to dinner dishes
- Barnsteiner’s, a contemporary setting offering upscale versions of classic European meals
- Presse Cafe, an inviting cafe bistro serving signature gourmet pressed sandwiches, light fare, and quality coffee
- Patisseh, a bright bakery offering hand-crafted desserts made in colourful, whimsical fashion, with gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, and vegan options!
- Shenanigans Pub + Patio, a laid-back restaurant serving housemade burgers, weekend brunch, and signature cocktails, featuring a scenic rooftop terrace
- Union Social Eatery, a casual restaurant focused on local ingredients, housemade cocktails, and community
- Holy Chuck, a fun, family-friendly restaurant specializing in hand-crafted gourmet burgers and specialty milkshakes
Yonge + St. Clair Shopping
Amidst the abundance of exquisite dining options around Yonge and St. Clair, you’ll find some of the trendiest boutiques and shops along this energetic intersection. From florists to clothing stores to gift shops, you’ll find everything you need and more in this neighbourhood. Take a stroll through the bustling streets and stop into one of these popular retail destinations:
- Rucci Shop For Men, a contemporary clothing boutique carrying business casual men’s fashions
- The Cigar Store, a boutique cigar store offering a variety of cigar and tobacco products and accessories
- Venus Lingerie Store, a women’s intimates boutique selling a wide selection of luxury lingerie items in a relaxed environment
- Rolex Canada, a luxury timepiece boutique
- Book City, a local book store offering an eclectic range of reading material since 1976!
- Legs Beautiful, a women’s boutique carrying a variety of legwear, including luxury lines and everyday options
- Roots, an established Canadian brand carrying comfortable winter clothing and outerwear
- The Papery, an independent business specializing in stationary, greeting cards, and gifts
- The Health Shoppe, a local, family-owned health and wellness store
- Eden Flowers, a family-run florist carrying a variety of hand-picked flowers
- Shoesette, a local footwear boutique carrying a wide selection of footwear and accessories
- Marquess Jewellers, a family-owned boutique specializing in custom jewellery pieces
- St. Clair Centre Shopping Mall
Yonge + St. Clair Amenities
In addition to great shopping and superb restaurants, residents in the Yonge and St. Clair community can access a range of amenities that cater to a variety of lifestyles. There are a number of everyday services and luxury comforts to be found in the neighbourhood, including:
- Monica’s Beauty, an aesthetics boutique specializing in body care services and hair care in a zen atmosphere
- Toronto No Gi, a martial arts gym offering Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and muay Thai classes
- Salon Lyol, a hair salon specializing in lifestyle hair design
- Northern Artists Pro Lab, a photography lab specializing in printing and film developing services for 25 years
- Michael Kluthe, an upscale, full-service salon and spa
- Chi Spa, an urban retreat focused on health and healing using Eastern wellness philosophies
- Balance Fitness, a wellness studio with a holistic approach to health and fitness
- Lawyers offices, doctors offices, pharmacies, banks, and more
Yonge + St. Clair Schools
For families with young children living in the area, Yonge and St. Clair is home to some of the most highly-rated schools in the city of Toronto. As a neighbourhood resident, you’ll have access to great area schools including:
- The York School, Canada’s first co-educational independent IB World School focused on experiential learning from JK-12
- The Linden School, a girls’ school focused on girl-centred education and learning
- Deer Park Junior and Senior Public School, catering to neighbourhood children aged K-8, and home to Water Babies Toronto, a centre for infant swimming lessons
Yonge + St. Clair Recreation
Living in the middle of one of Toronto’s liveliest urban enclaves doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice the serenity of the great outdoors. The Yonge and St. Clair neighbourhood is surrounded by greenspaces and natural landscapes where you can go to relax and recharge around wildlife. This includes:
- David A. Balfour Park, a scenic park complete with grassy fields featuring trails that lead to a forested ravine and Yellow Creek. The park also connects to the Park Drive Reservation Lands and a larger ecosystem that includes Cranley Gardens, Don Valley Park, Don Valley Brickworks Park, the Don River, and a vast landscape of creeks, greenspace, and wildlife that form a welcome oasis
- Delisle-St. Clair Parkette, a lush greenspace with winding footpaths at the corner of Delisle Avenue and Yonge Street
- Mount Pleasant Cemetary, home to a beautiful botanical garden and impressive collection of trees, making it one of the country’s most significant arboretums
If you’re looking for a fitness studio to stay active, these spaces dedicated to health and wellness have you covered:
- Oxygen Yoga and Fitness, a wellness studio offering yoga and fitness classes under infrared lighting
- Flofitness CrossFit Essence, a CrossFit gym
- The Kin Studio, a hybrid fitness and rehabilitation centre with a focus on pain management
- Modo Yoga Uptown, a hot yoga studio with a sustainability focus
Why you’ll love it here
Whatever your reason for moving to Yonge and St. Clair, you’ll find yourself right at home. Toronto’s best restaurants, pubs, and cafes are right outside your door in this neighbourhood, and you won’t have any trouble picking up quality goods or finding elevated services at the surrounding retailers and amenities that populate the energetic streets. Living in the Yonge and St. Clair community means you can indulge in all the excitements of an urban centre while enjoying the peacefulness of nature just steps from your home.